Many of us realize an urgent need to simplify, especially on the brink of a quickly approaching new year.
We may feel increasingly dissatisfied with our quality of life, whilst feeling left out of society – interacting in our day to day dealings mindlessly. Life should not be drudgery. Work should not be a matter of living paycheck to paycheck. Conversations should not be arguments. Consumerism, at the escalating scale we have made it, should not be considered normal.
Start to simplify your life and the upcoming year may just become your best-lived yet.
1. Stop being normal. Normal is boring. Normal is following the crowd (this works alright in airports and train stations, but not in daily life). Normal is conventional and conventions are outdated. It is time to resume the path of following our intuition and unbrand our clothes as well as unbrand other aspects of existence.
Corporations are refining their production and advertising methods to cater to “normal” people with calculable buying habits. Big businesses know exactly what people are willing to purchase, whether they need those things or not. Stop making their jobs/profits so easy, by just being yourself!
2. Take a step back from negativity. Get rid of stuff (things, collections, clothing that no longer fits, music, photographs, books, etc.) that makes you feel bad, then broaden your elimination diet and do away with people and situations that bring loads of negativity into your life. Instead, surround yourself with happiness that is found in genuine laughter, long walks in nature and people that make you feel great about being you.
3. Want no more than you have. Put an end to the desire of the newness of objects. It is quite often the familiar, the natural and the comfortableness of what we already own that gives us time to truly relax. When you come to terms with the fact that you already have enough, there will be no need to purchase more than necessary from any store.
4. Make belongings rather than buy stuff. Gather the knowledge it takes to mend and create anew from sustainable resources. In your capable hands everything you desire is possible with patience and respect for ecological materials and methods. Stop looking in shops for what you may want – know your needs and creatively find the means to make them happen. That is where self-reliance will kick in and soon you will be solving problems and generating new ideas on how life can be lived better, in a simpler, gentler, kinder way.
5. Go natural. Read up on herbal healing, at the same time learn to identify native plants and make your own tinctures and infusions. Stop washing your hair with chemicals, stop brushing your teeth with fluoride toothpaste and for goodness sakes stop painting your nails! Forget about eating preservatives and artificial food colorings, dismiss long lists of ingredients and start breaking the traditions that are making you feel unwell.
Alternatively go paleo, go gluten-free, go dairy-free, go for lacto-fermented vegetables, go shopping at your local farmers market for real food that doesn’t come in a brightly colored box.
Each of these 5 steps will open up new doors that lead to new areas to simplify your life. Paradoxically, it is beautifully complex, like nature herself, and the more you embrace the art of simple living the more gifts you will receive. Abundance may not always be measured in terms of monetary wealth, but it will surely take happiness, respect, love and friendship into account.
Simplify your life and you will have the time to discover what is truly important to you.
Take one breakthrough step at a time, or skip merrily along your way, there is no rush, just a great importance at the end of every day.
How will you start (or continue) to simplify your life in the new year? Please share with us in the comments below.